Thursday, April 9, 2009

Its Sushi Thursday...



Sushi Thursday comes once a week and this week I thought I would share how I manage (due to trial and error) to enjoy a sushi meal and not get sick. You of course cant eat a lot of things but there is still plenty of sushi to be had even if you cant have gluten. For starters traditional soy sauce is out (god I hope people already knew that, I had no idea when I was first diagnosed though). Having tried MANY kinds of wheat free soy sauce and sampling many kinds that tasted like they were brewed in a bathtub I have found what I think tastes exactly like the real thing. Tamari Organic Soy Sauce is 100% wheat and gluten free and delicious. Although it doesn't clearly say "wheat free" on the front of the label it is wheat free and "made in a plant inspected by the Gluten Free Certification Organization". 

My sushi menu usually consists of the following, however, each resturant is different and you have to be responsible for asking what you are eating. 

  • tuna and salmon sushi (the rice does not contain wheat, but some sushi rice may so it is important to ask)
  • spicy tuna roll or plain tuna roll  (again, spicy sauce is a toss up, you have to ask your server) 
  • red snapper 
  • sashimi (careful not to eat Unagi (eel), it almost always has a sauce on it) 
  • California roll (only with REAL crab, imitation crab contains wheat) 
  • vegetable rolls (as long as they dont have tempura batter)
  • shrimp rolls 
Basically the lesson here is to avoid any sauces, deep fried foods like gyoza, anything breaded, and I would steer clear of miso soup (often miso includes barley, better safe than sorry). But there is plenty that can be enjoyed at sushi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment