Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lip Stuck


One of the lesser known ways to poison youself with gluten is through lipstick, chap stick or any other lip lube you may use. Unfortunately there is a lot of gluten used in makeup and lip products. I have however done research on this (after I got very very ill from L'Oreal Paris lipstick) and have discovered that there are some brands out there that are usable. I like to use both chap stick and lipstick so I went on quite the hunt to find brands that I liked. The problem is that often times its really hard to just look at a cosmetic label and know that it contains gluten. Here is what I have found and verified as gluten free. I know there are probably more brands out there that offer gluten free lip products and if you know of any please comment and let me know. I have just stuck to the following because I am sure that I can use them. 

For chap stick:

Classic Burt's Bees is gluten free. This one took a while for me to get used to as I cant stand smelly or strong lip products. But it is a great chap stick and is totally safe to use which is enough for me. Also they now have Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer. I can't say Im a huge fan but thats because I got a color that didnt work. Im sure if I tried some of the others I could have found a shade I like. Most of the Burt's products are gluten free but be sure and double check EVERYTHING before purchasing. 

Blistex has a wide variety of gluten free lip products. I have only used the Silk & Shine chap stick but I know that they offer many gluten free lip products including their Lip Ointment, Lip Balm, Fruit Smoothies, Herbal Balm and Gel, Complete Moisture and Lip Revitalizer 

I have heard mixed things about ChapStick brand. This used to be my classic go-to chap stick and I can not find any real info on their website nor have I heard anything conclusive outside of a Celiac forum (by the way, these are not reliable, I read misinformation on these everyday, PLEASE do not rely on them for real information without verifying yourself) that confirms the brand as making gluten free products. My advice on this one is to stay away from it unfortunately. 







Lipstick: 

Christian Dior....my absolute favorite lipstick ever. All of their lip products are gluten free thank God because they make such a great variety of shades and styles of lipstick that is just so great. All of their makeup is great but I am especially addicted to their lipstick. Its a bit pricey but if you like to be able to wear lipstick I strongly recommend it. Its great stuff 

I recently read about Afterglow cosmetics that has lipstick that is all gluten free. The idea behind the brand was to create mineral cosmetics that would not irritate skin and are 100% natural. I havent tried any of their products but I would be willing to just based on the fact that their lip products are gluten free. 

Please feel free to comment or recommend any other brands that you know of that are gluten free, I would love to hear of more options! 




2 comments:

  1. My wife found this out the hard way with Lip Smackers. I put together a list as well. http://www.glutenfibrofree.com/products/gluten-free-lip-balm-roundup/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Dior lip gloss gluten-free as well? Or is it just lipstick? What about their mascara? I have just been given Diorshow Iconic mascara, but I am afraid to use it. I tired contacting the company, but haven't had a response.

    ReplyDelete